Monday, February 9, 2009

What's blooming

I took some photos last week of "what's happening" in my front yard. We've had some tantalizingly sunny and relatively warm days this month and I'm itching for some time to clean up in the garden and plant some seeds.

IMG_2809

This is my witchhazel (Hamamelis x intermedia 'Jelena'). I love the blooms as they come in early January and last for more than a couple weeks. They smell great too, though they need some sun for the scent to be released. The low angle of the winter sun keeps the flowers backlit for most of the day.

IMG_2811

The branching is lovely, too.

This helebore is my only one in the garden. (I know I need more.)

IMG_2813

I don't remember its name, but I got it from Heronswood when it was still in Kingston and still run by Dan Hinkley. I love it.

I may not be that into pink clothes, but I love me some hot pink flowers!

IMG_2814

This red-flowering current (Ribes sanguineum) has gorgeous hanging pink flowers that open before the shrubs leaves emerge. I'm anticipating their arrival, but in the meantime, I can enjoy the pink buds.

On the knitting front, I'm still working on the classic socks for Ryan, and they don't look much different from last week. Hopefully I'll have some knitting to blog about next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment